Monday, July 6, 2015

Make-A-List Monday - I Can Almost Smell the Beach.....

Hi, all!

I hope you had a wonderful Fourth of July weekend!  Ours was rather rainy, but we still had a great time - got to spend some time with the grandkids, went out on the boat once in between rainy episodes, and went to the movies.  All in all, a fun weekend!  And of course, rain meant that I got to do a good bit of sewing, too....

So let's see how last week's list went...

1.  Make a back for and quilt the second scrappy green quilt top.
Done!  I actually quilted this one today, and while the fancy quilting is done, I still need to do a little bit of ditch-stitching and bind it.  But here's a picture of some of the quilting as a tease - I'll post about this quilt on Friday!


2.  Complete the HSTs for the vacation quilt.
Done!  I don't have a pic of all of them together, but here's enough to give you an idea... I made 624 of these puppies!


3.  Work on the wedding dress quilt project.
Done!  I've got a good start on the pillow, and finally have a handle on what I'm going to do for the quilt.  I had run into a problem with only using the fabric in the dress, adding nothing, but got permission to add a backing fabric, so now it should be a piece of cake!  (After vacation...)

Seed stitching with a 20 weight glossy twisted thread

4.  Work on Nathanael's stocking.
Done!  Well, not done, but at least in progress!  


5.  Keep up with any quilt ministry needs that arise.
Done!  We gave away three quilts this week...


This one to a man who had surgery for lung cancer...


This one to a sick baby...


And this one to a woman with multiple health issues.

And in addition to the things on my list, I did a little fun sewing...


I made these two cute little pin cushions, which measure about 3" square by 1" thick.  I used the same technique for the 16-patch blocks as I did for my husband's quilt, except with 5" squares instead of 10" squares.  It was super simple!  I wonder how small I can go....

And I also busted into my piggy bank, because the Piggy Bank Challenge has come to an end!  For one year, as part of Val's Piggy Bank Challenge, I've been collecting up my spare change in anticipation of a quilt-y treat.....


It was a LOT of change!!! (As CoinStar kept telling me...)


This was the total I came up with, and actually, CoinStar came up with more - $76.79!  I spent part of my loot on this...


While that looks like a strange thing to purchase as part of a quilt-y splurge, it represents 173 hours and 47 minutes of audio books, which I listen to while I'm working!  When I received an email today saying that they were on sale for $4.95 each, I knew that would be a great thing to spend part of my money on.



I'm going to save the rest of my loot in anticipation of this beautiful new fabric by Amanda Jean Nyberg of Crazy Mom Quilts, which should be available on Connecting Threads in the fall sometime.  I can't wait!!

And I've already started stuffing my pig in anticipation of next year's quilt-y splurge!!

OK, so that's the week that was.  This week is a short week, because we're heading to the beach on Friday, but I still have some things I need to get done...

1.  Finish the quilting on the sibling quilt and bind it.

2.  Get the BlockRockIt set up on the frame at church.

3.  Hand out the signature blocks for the retirement quilt to be signed this week.

4.  Write up an estimate for a commission quilt.

5.  Clean the house so the pet-sitter doesn't run out screaming!

6.  Keep up with any quilt ministry needs that come up.

That should be more than enough to keep me out of trouble (especially since I'm also babysitting two mornings this week for the grandkids) but if it isn't, I can also cut out the pieces for the wedding dress quilt, now that I know what I'm going to do!

Whew!

So now, the question is - - - what are YOU working on this week?

Hugs!

Sarah

13 comments:

  1. Sarah what an awesome idea for a wuikt u pleasure!!! I've never listened to books on tape...and since im a multi tasking girl...I think I might like it!! Enjoy your annual beach vaca...so glad your planning to continue the challenge next year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great way to spend your savings challenge. You got so much done this week. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent choice of audio books. You did well with your savings and plans to use it. I can't wait to see the wedding dress quilt. I have my great grans dress and would love to repurpose it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. While I wouldn't have purchased the same books - I read several of them years ago, and got really tired of her style after a while - I totally understand your buying audiobooks to listen to while you sew. I do that ALL the time (when I'm not at a retreat or otherwise with friends). I hand-piece while watching TV, but otherwise I listen to books. Get through a lot of books that way, and love it. Definitely not a music person!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You got so much done. I don't listen to audio books but I do have the radio on and listen to plays and dramas

    ReplyDelete
  6. You got so much done. I don't listen to audio books but I do have the radio on and listen to plays and dramas

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! I admire your stick-to- it-iveness! Yay for lists! I don't know how some people can live without them. Have lots of fun at the beach!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on the savings, I love feeding my pig :). The third ministry quilt is such a great scrap buster, I'm putting it on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Feathers look great Sarah, you've been practicing. LOL I need to make some of those pincushions. Have a wonderful vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good job on the piggy bank challenge. You'll love the books. I read them years ago and loved them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have those Jean Auel books, hard copy though. I love them :)

    Listening to audio books is a great idea while you are working away at the sewing machine...NOT driving a vehicle! Well...at least it didn't work out so well for me :/

    I'm planning to join in on the Piggy Bank challenge fun next year. It is surprising how much money can be saved over a year.

    Good luck with your list this week and I hope you have a great beach vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your idea of saving change for a quilty or book treat at the end of a year. My husband and I save our change for parking meters during the hockey season, but I may have to save dimes and nickels for a quilty treat.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nicely done. So what did Nathanael think of the 4th celebration?

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile!! If you want a PDF of a pattern, PLEASE leave your email address in your comment, or email me directly at salliesue57 (at) gmail (dot) com!